17 December 2008

My First Turkey

I am so impressed with my efforts today. At Thanksgiving we got a turkey (on sale, yippee) and since we ate with friends we did not cook it right away. It had been thawing in the fridge for a couple days and today was the day. Out of the fridge it came and into a bag (thanks "H") to cook. I'd never used a bag before.. heck I never made a turkey before... My DH, ever so brave pulled the items out of the birdie, and into the fire it went! Three hours later, concerned about the timer thingie not popping out... thoughts of cardboard, turkey jerkey, and various other deserty objects...I checked the birdie many many times til.. finally POP the thingie went. Out it came and it looked great but the test was still ahead. DH carved and sampled as the job was completed. The birdie passed the test not a dry bit in mouth! Yay. Mashed potatoes and stuffing completed the meal. "H" I forgot to use the potato water in the gravy. Doh. The gravy turned out great too. Yay! So needless to say we ate well today and the remains are on the stove simmering away making stock.
I am thinking soup tomorrow or the next. :)

Now I've got to run and make peanut butter cookies for a Christmas meal tomorrow at DH's work.

Remind me to tell you about a score I made yesterday at Goodwill!

No comments: